Our designers look for inspiration everywhere - and although we are complete Barney's (see slang glossary below) putting together the Surf's Up Vibe has been Akaw!
Whether ducking behind some of the most azure curtains one can imagine or pushing the limits of human potential at one of the world’s premier big wave spots, Surfers live for the thrill. Know this - surfing is one of the most difficult and complex sports in the world. IN THE WORLD!
360 – a surf move consisting of turning the surfboard at a 360-degree angle while on the face of a wave
A-frame – a wave shaped like a peak that breaks both left and right, equally
Aggro – aggressive surfing/surfer
Air/Aerial – is a maneuver in which the board leaves the surface or the water/wave
Akaw! – awesome, cool
Amped – feeling excited, pumped up
Ankle busters – waves that are too small to ride
Backdoor – going inside a tube/barrel, also known as the curl of the wave, from behind its peak
Bailing – Jumping off your board into the water in order to avoid a bad encounter
Barney – a surfer that is not cool, untalented, rookie
SURFER FUN FACTS
- A trained surfer can hold his breath for about 4 minutes. Impressive until you learn the record holder can do it for more than 11 minutes.
- The record for the longest surf ride is 3 hours 55 minutes by Panamanian surfer Gary Saavedra.
- Cameron Diaz has broken her nose four times while surfing. Ouch!
- A “hang eleven” is when a male surfer rides his board naked. ummm...
- WWII led to the invention of chemicals and materials that helped revolutionize the construction of surfboards. Styrofoam, fiberglass, and resin all helped create boards that were more sturdy and lightweight.
- Surfing is a $10 billion global industry.
We love a good surfing story - better yet, post and tag a picture of your latest wave conquest. @wearestellardesigns
Blog contributor: Sofia Achinelli